IT OPERATIONS MANAGER
In the role of IT Operations Manager, you will be accountable for managing an IT Operations team going through a transformation programme as part of the adoption of a DevOps culture and capability. In order to prepare the IT Operations team and organisation for this transformation, you will establish and consolidate the skills, processes and management systems required to support current business-as-usual activities effectively and work closely with our sizeable in-house development team in planning for and helping orchestrate change. You will have experience of managing major disruptive change, will be able to make informed decisions quickly as to how to best support and manage change, and will assist in streamlining new processes.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right professional to “make your mark” and have significant input on the direction of the organisation’s IT Infrastructure and contribute to the establishment of DevOps.
A KEY FOCUS will be the Operations team’s business-as-usual activities and includes, but is not limited to:
- Building the skills in the IT Operations and IT Support teams
- Implementing & adhering to strong governance & best practice ITIL-led service management principles
- Developing, rolling out & ensuring adherence to processes & standards
- Creating accurate and sustainable documentation
- Auditing the effectiveness of all changes implemented
- Ensuring adherence by engraining discipline into the team
OTHER AREAS of responsibility will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Prioritising workload and focus for the IT Support team including, for example, on-call rotas, routine tasks, proactive/reactive ad-hoc tasks, and escalations
- Managing the IT Support team, instilling can-do attitude, and being ambassador for IT and technology
- Recommending, planning and implementing modifications to the infrastructure – server, storage, data centre, networking, tooling, etc
- Ensuring access to and security of information and that systems offer true information integrity
- Maintaining & testing business continuity & disaster recovery procedures, documentation & capabilities
- Managing relationships with third parties
- Promoting effectiveness of ITIL based processes/procedures while driving their build and management
- Accounting for expenditure and ensuring technology improves efficiency of service, while managing the budget and reducing costs wherever practical
- Ensuring ISO27001 and Cyber Essentials Plus certifications are maintained
You will take operational ownership of IT Operations and will closely manage the team to ensure improvements and changes are bedded in. You will create and foster a dynamic partnership between IT and the wider business community through clarity of communications and pro-active engagement around incidents, problem management and continual service improvement.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Strong technical understanding of infrastructure and hosting including, for example, data centres, servers, VMWare and virtualisation, storage, networking (WAN/LAN), firewall management, Linux, security management, desktop support, Office 365, tooling, business continuity, etc.
- ITIL – incident, problem, change, release and configuration management
- Good understanding of IT security practices and GDPR
- Proven managerial and staff development skills
- Experience of implementing or operating within a DevOps environment
- Ability to establish immediate credibility at all levels, inside and outside the organization
- Ability to make decisions quickly
- Ability to write and present reports
- A Continuous Improvement focus
- Effective at working within teams and individually
- Leading change in an IT environment
- Proven track record at senior level of leading staff through a move to best practices
- Proven track record of managing and motivating staff
- A can-do attitude
- A people person
- A technical mind and organised mind
- Ability to describe technical information in easy-to-understand terms
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent Problem-solving skills
- Out of the Box thinker
- Solid, extensive and demonstrable IT Management experience coupled with demonstrable experience and understanding of the ITIL service lifecycle & governance requirements.
- Verifiable track record of effective leadership including strong strategic thinking and successful execution of leading an organisation through process change.